Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Social Sass: Pool of Support



As I have explored Social Media more and more, I have found a few things remain the same. Firstly, there is no shortage of funny cat videos out there in the halls of social media. Secondly, when a crisis arises, I can count on my friends to provide a vast pool of support. This past week my father took ill and was hospitalized for a number of rather serious health problems. The thought of calling everyone and providing individual updates was overwhelming so my family and I took to the social media streets to share news, updates and more. The outpouring of support was a delight and I truly felt like everyone around me was sending a digital hug. I found myself feeling far less stressed out and even making comments about the awful coffee at the hospital to keep things light. The ability to check in at the hospital let friends know where I was in case they were having trouble reaching me and even better, I could keep track of my siblings and know when it was my turn to take a shift. I realize there are folks out there that feel sharing things of this intimate nature are inappropriate in the social sphere and I totally respect that. However, with our digital lives so entwined, I found a profound comfort in the online camaraderie the medium provided during a very difficult time. I know moving forward I will be far more interactive with those going through similar challenges so they know I am offering up that same pool of support. It truly does help to know friends near and far have your back! Aside, Facebook really does need an “I’m sorry to hear that button” for occasions like this…I can’t be the only one uncomfortable with “liking” a status sharing a health concern for a loved one.

No comments:

Post a Comment